Sunday, June 14, 2015

Blog Post #6

I enjoyed all of the videos with Mr. Capps. He is very informative and gave me a lot of useful information. I hope it is okay to contact him once I start teaching to get some PBL ideas.

"If students are engaged, they are learning" Mr. Anthony Capps

One of the most important things I learned from part 1&2 videos, is that PBL is "constantly changing". I learned that you can use PBL for many different subjects. I loved the project where the students wrote to congress about women being on the line of duty. I liked this project because they were allowed to critique each others writings. The students were able to select which student letter was sent off to congress. It also allowed students to research and select the person of their choice. This encouraged the students to do better and gave them a self esteem booster. I learned that students are motivated by the work they are doing in the class. He has shown me how to encourage my students and keep them engaged in PBL. PBL is content driven and you can easily involve the community. Parents are likely to get involved and are often surprised by the work their child is doing in class.

http://apps.puffinbrowser.com/APN/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=378



iCurio is something that was not included in school while I was a student in school. It involves media for the classroom that has been filtered. It allows teachers and students to stay organized. I am going to use iCurio in my class for many subjects. It seems like it would help my students to stay on track and allows to keep up with material we have learned in class.

In the video, Discovery Ed, I learned that it helps students with visual learning. I can use Discovery Ed to support texts that I have in all subject matters. It allows students to research any kind of topic. It will help my students with research and analyzing skills.

My favorite video was the Additional Thought video. I loved how he explained the layers of lessons. Thanks to Mr. Capps, I know there are 4 layers: year, unit, week, and daily. I loved when he said "All must get done to have a successful lesson." Brilliant!

4 comments:

  1. "I hope it is okay to contact him once I start teaching to get some PBL ideas." Absolutely. I may entice him to come to one of our class meetings.

    "iCurio is something that was not included in school while I was." "While I was" what? a student in school? You need to rewrite this sentence. I have almost done it for you.

    "I am going to use iCurio in my class for many subjects." It will have to be purchased by your school system.

    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on your post overall! My only comment is I would watch choppy sentences. Yes, sometimes they are necessary but not all over the place. I also agree with you about wanting to bring Anthony to my classroom when I become an educator. He is a wonderful tool and teacher and I would love to learn from him in person as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how Anthony broke down the lesson plans! I was only taught about the daily lesson plan and Anthony’s explanation made me realize that lesson planning goes beyond than just planning what to do in one day. A suggestion is to expand on what the video is about so it’ll lead to into what you learned from the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony Capps gave a lot of information about PBL. I also think Icurio is a good tool to use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete