Saturday, June 6, 2015

Blog Post #4

Questions are essential in the classroom because they allow the teacher, you, to know if your students understand the material. There are always good question and bad questions. The article and videos showed me what to avoid and how to ask questions that will challenge my students.

https://ics613s13.wordpress.com/modules/how-to-ask-questions/The article, Three Ways to Ask Better Questions in the Classroom, taught me three ways to help me conquer the questioning task. I call them the 3 important Ps.

Prepare
Make sure the question being asked is clear.
Make sure the question you are asking is asked at the right moment to avoid confusion.
Play
Thought provoking questions are the best ones to ask students.
Give the students time to ramble thru their thoughts to answer your specific question.
Preserve
Jot down different answers that the students give to challenge yourself to ask new and reformed questions.


I really enjoyed the next video, Questioning Styles and Strategies. I loved how he kept the students engaged. There are four questioning style and several techniques I can use in the classroom.

Mastery allows the student to use their understanding to explain what they observed to someone else. Think pair share, surveying, and value feedback are few of the techniques he went over. They were all effective and the students were not terrified to answer.

Interpersonal allowed the students to relate to the topic personally. The students used the techniques learning log, and he clarified by having a student elaborate on what he wrote.

Understanding allowed the student to see if they knew what was actually going on. He used the technique wait time. This allowed the student to make sure he was understanding the question he had asked.

Self-expressiveness allows the students to draw a picture. The technique he used was extending responses. He allowed the students to explain what they drew.

 I do not know the teachers name in this video

3 comments:


  1. What about open-ended and closed ended questions? That was a critical part of this assignment?

    Otherwise thoughtful and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Dr.Strange said maybe address those open and closed ended questions. (I forgot to do that myself in my post) Other than that you covered all the other major points thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete