Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Blog Post # 14


-Problem 1- Better Teachers
Solution- Recruit from the top third of our graduates. Change the reward system for teachers.

-Problem 2-  Teachers Knowledge of Content
    Solution-  Albert Shanker suggested "national teacher exam" that test content knowledge. Supervised internship for 1-3 years.

-Problem 2-  Change in the education system
  Solution- Establish own board for the profession of teaching to establish standards. Teaching assistants. Choice for schools.

For the first problem, I would have to disagree. I do not believe picking students who graduate from the top of their class are necessarily great teachers. If a student works hard and shines in the classroom, they deserve a chance to be a teacher. Some students are good at getting good grades but not very good at teaching. They may not know how to relate to their children or provide their students with the correct information. However, I do agree with changing the reward system for teachers. I believe when the school honors a teacher, they will always strive to be better. Rewards can include luncheons, trips for the summer, or a pay raise.

http://www.apisanet.com/erased-quotes/can-never-be-erased-a-good-teacher-quotes-on-teachers-and-teaching/The second problem, I have to disagree. Since you have to complete all these tests to become a teacher I feel there is no need to retest the teachers. If the article had stated, every 5 years teachers have to complete workshops and attend seminars to refresh or learn new information to improve their classroom skills, I would have agreed. Also, I disagree with the supervised internship because I feel that no classroom is alike. I think the only way a teacher can learn is by having her own classroom. If a teacher lesson fails, she has the opportunity for self reflection to change the lesson or improve the lesson.

Lastly, the third problem I agree, because I feel each board should choose to meet the highest standard of their choice. Examples are: introducing children to a different genre of literature, becoming fluent in a new language, or completely converting to PBL.  I believe the standards should have requirements for what is expected from that teacher, as well. I agree that teachers need assistants in the classroom because children will have an opportunity for 1 on 1 interaction. I think a teacher can be easily overwhelmed with a classroom of 30 or more students. I think an assistant would help with grading, activities and managing the classroom.

These are just a few problems in our education system. I do believe teachers should be praised as lawyers or doctors because we are in charge of guiding the next generation.  Albert Shanker and Joel Klein has some great point in this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment